Friday, June 26, 2009

Sally: The country cat

When we lived in the illustrious "big" town of Marble Falls, Sally would occasionally bring in her latest catch to show us/play with/eat. (See post below)

Since we moved to the country, Sally has taken to finding new and different things to catch (like giant, mutant grasshoppers) and bring inside for our inspection. The goofy thing is, she brings them in, sets them down, then leaves them. She doesn't play with them, or eat them. She just drops them on the floor somewhere.

She usually lays next to her catch for a while, but after a few minutes of it laying paralyzed by fear, she'll get bored and leave it where it lays. Then Peter and I get the joy of catching it and releasing it again.

Wednesday alone she brought in 3 grasshoppers between dinner and us going to bed. Ah!!!

Yesterday morning, she trotted out her little cat door to go play. A few minutes later I see her coming in with what I think is a big frog. I yelled at her to take it back outside, but, she is a cat, and they don't follow orders very well.

She brought in the "frog" and laid it on the kitchen floor and then plopped down beside it. That's when I saw it's looooong tail. It wasn't a frog, but a LARGE lizard. Not a gecko, a big lizard that looked like it should be spiky and live on a rock in the desert.

Of course, after a few minutes she got bored and started to walk away and when she moved, it freaked out and starting running all around the kitchen. I finally dropped the mop bucket over it to keep it in one place.

After searching for some stiff cardboard, I finally slid it under the bucket and got it outside. Once I put it outside it sat in the same spot for an hour (no wonder Sally caught it, dumb lizard). So, I was able to take this picture for comparison.





Sally and her lizard (bad cell phone picture)



The lizard and Peter's shoe

3 comments:

the Sebring's said...

I would totally freak out if Oscar brought that in! Yikes!

The Bigham Family said...

HOLY CRAP! That is one weird looking "lizard". Do some research and see what kind it is. Doesn't look too native to "these parts." LOL! You are Wonder Woman - I would have never even attempted to touch that thing even in a bucket! Way to go!

JoDee said...

This completely freaks me out. Last night, I screamed when I almost stepped on a tiny little frog that happened to find it's way into my bathroom... I commend you for not peeing your pants at the sight of that lizard. Dang.